Miscellaneous Acoustic Software
There is a wide range of software available for acoustic analysis. Some examples are listed here, as well as links to other sites that provide more lists of software. Some programs are free and can be downloaded from the web sites shown. Others vary in price depending on capability, and usually it is possible to download a demonstration version that allows you to try out the software at no cost. Only very brief descriptions are given here: full descriptions are available at the individual web sites shown. Note that this list contains only the few programs that I am familiar with and there is no reason to suppose that these are any better than other programs available - you are advised to check out all the links to other software.
- Free, open source, cross-platform audio software.Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Developed as open source. Highly recommended for recording, playback, editing, analysis...
- Adobe Audition
- Adobe Audition, formerly Cool Edit Pro, is a digital audio workstation from Adobe Systems featuring both a multitrack, non-destructive mix/edit environment and a destructive-approach waveform editing view. Available for Windows and Mac OS.
- AVISOFT SASLab
- Avisoft-SASLab is a versatile sound analysis, editing, classification and synthesis tool. Avisoft-SASLab Light is freeware for basic editing of wave form and production of spectrograms. Avisoft-SASLab Pro provides a wide rang of functions, particularly spectrograms and wave form analysis.
- Goldwave is a professional digital audio editor. It provides a wide range of audio recording and editing tools of sound files.
- Produced by the Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Raven Pro is a software program for the acquisition, visualization, measurement, and analysis of sounds. It provides a powerful, user-friendly research and teaching tool for scientists working with acoustic signals and its highly configurable views provide unparalleled flexibility in data display.
- GNU Octave
- Octave is a free, multi-platform scientific programming language that is compatible with Matlab © and has built in visualization and signal processing tools.